Saturday, August 1, 2009

It is finally Saturday and I'm tired. We made it back to Phoenix last night from a great week in San Diego. It had been quite a few years since I had been there, so lots of things had changed. The official reason for my visit was to learn more about the AVID program that my school will be implementing this year. AVID is an acronym for Advancement Via Individual Determination. It tries to take students who have the potential and desire to go to college, but through personal issues may not go. We heard some awesome stories of kids, who either have no families or have had no one in their families ever attend college, have full rides next year to four year universities. Believe me when I say these kids have big goals. I have no doubt that we will be hearing about their accomplishments in the future. Several of them spoke on the difference AVID made in their lives and they would not be here today if it was not for AVID program. While this program has been in high schools and middle schools, it is now finding itself in 4-6 elementary schools. It is never too late to start talking about college. This is especially true for kids who are at risk. Our school will be implementing a lot of strategies and tools that will help at risk students become even more confident as they prepare for middle school, high school and beyond.

Well, I need to do some laundry. More posts coming from a great week in San Diego.
C.

No comments:

Post a Comment